Hi;

I am in a bit of a slump right now - one of those times when I am pretty frustrated with my work, feeling like I can't get it right, not making progress and so on.  I have been trying to work through it for the past 2 weeks but can't seem to get beyond it.

I have read that it is a normal thing for artists to experience this from time to time - but still, it is not very much fun.

So I thought I would put it out there to this supportive group and ask:

Have you experienced periods like this?  If so, do you have any advice for moving forward?  I would love to be painting happily again....

Thanks for anything you have to share.....

Sarah

Views: 106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really feel your pain Sarah. It's so frustrating and can really bring you down.  I go through slumps too and during my last one I seriously thought of giving all my paints away.  I started looking at Karen's  video demos....wow....that did the trick for me.  I tried painting along with Karen and it was so much fun I forgot all about my slump!  I never did color charts....now I look forward to color charts and find them so much fun to do.  It really helps when someone helps choose the palette and guides you along through your painting process.  You have a huge stress on the horizon and it could be blocking your creative flow.  Don't worry, whatever method you choose to climb out of this slump you'll come out on top, your a natural!! my best to you!!

Thanks. Linda, for your support. For some reason, it helps to know that others have this sometime. I think I just need to start in again on something, whatever it is. I stared listening to Karen's videos again today. ....hope to be painting again soon.

Hi Sarah:

I've been out of the loop for a while due to all good stuff - taking a class and also working on a big upcoming BD for my husband.   Perhaps by now you are already out of your slump?

Anyway, I was going to just share a comment in the Discussions sections when I saw yours and thought it might apply.  

It's about book I recently read for Book Club that I think will, perhaps for a lifetime, change the way I look at my art.  If you haven't already ready it, perhaps you would like it.  I found almost everything in the book incredible freeing.

BIG MAGIC, Elizabeth Gilbert

Warm regards, Mary

Thanks for checking in, Mary. I appreciate it. I think my slump was related to a lot of things (daughter's wedding, another trip, family visits, etc.) I have always painted for stress relief, but I felt like I couldn't get anything right. I think I am mostly over it, although I would still like to move to the next level with my painting (whatever that is). I will definitely read your suggested book. It sounds great! Thanks!

Hi.  I so appreciate the feedback and support from everyone - you are all so generous and wise!  I have tried many of your suggestions to do different things for a while and I do think it helps.

I am winding down from an extremely busy period in my life and have come to see that this was one of the things that was getting in my way.  I think to be creative and to paint it is helpful to me to have some time to think as well - I can't just crank it out.  Because life has been so busy I did not have enough time to process and think and I need that time.  

I am not naturally a fast painter but have been trying to paint more quickly.  I recognize that this is a good exercise but my timing was off because it made painting less relaxing when life was so busy.  I am slowing down now and trying to let things come naturally.  We will see what happens.

I have found some things to read lately that have been really helpful, so I thought I would share them here in case anyone is interested.  

http://painterskeys.com - this site share little snippets of wisdom in the form of letters

Creativity from Another Dimension - Julia Lu

Your Artist's Brain by Carl Purcell

and, of course....

Daily Painting by Carol Marine

Please see the post below from Mary for a book called Big Magic which she recommends.

Thanks, again, to everyone for your support during a difficult painting period!

thanks for sharing Sarah

RSS

What's new?

Need some extra help?

The Personal Tutor

Yes, you CAN help!

Be my INSPIRATION!!!

Become a Patron of the Arts!

Join me on my Patreon page. Pledge a small monthly donation and get rewards!

• Discounts on Classes in my Online School
  • Discounts in my Etsy Shop
  • Free Personal Tutor Sessions
  • Patron Only video chat/demos
  • and more!

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO

------------------------------------------------------------------

Or you can use the button below for a one time contribution in any amount - Thank you!

Latest Activity

© 2017   Created by Karen Ilari.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service