This was done on Foamcore previously sealed and primed; 5" x 7".  No reference.

Crackle paste was used to provide the textural effects and the design and colours worked out as the piece developed.  Golden Fluid Acrylics and High Flow Acrylics were applied by brush (typically 1" soft bristle) and the excess rubbed off with damp lint free cotton.  This resulted in a very transparent finish that has a lot of layers and diffuse colours, leaving few hard edges.  The design closely follows the textural profile, allowing the more prominent fissures and ridges to define the composition. 

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Although I am unfamiliar with the technique described, I opened it and said, "ooo this is pretty"

I have a tendency to be too tight and controlling, so look for ways/techniques that force me to loosen up. Non-representational pieces are one way to do this; painting knives are another.

High Flow and Fluid Acrylics are not often discussed here, so thought it might spark some interest.  Golden High Flow products are very similar to the Liquitex Acrylic Ink line.  Both have high pigment load, so a single drop on a sealed surface goes a long way.

Using specialty gels/mediums like crackle paste and texture products can look rather "out-of-place" if overdone on representational pieces, so I like to explore effects and techniques on smaller Foamcore boards before considering how they might be applied to more traditional subjects.

I also posted a new blog showing the beginning stages of a 9 x 12 panel using crackle paste as the base layer.  One obvious problem is photographic glare; it is virtually impossible to eliminate reflections because of the many angles and contours created by the medium.  Polarizing filters might do it, but would also change the contrast and colour saturation.

PS - the new blog which I reference "Golden Crackle Paste" is still awaiting approval from Karen before being posted on her site.

I love this Charles! What a great use of the crackle paste. It's unpredictability reminds me of Raku techniques in pottery.

The subtle color shifts are very interesting. It makes me want to explore the image for a while!

Very striking Charles!  A very suitable subject for this project....and it turned out beautifully!  This piece really captures the eye (and not for just a glance)!  Well done!

Thanks Micki, Karen, and Linda!

i am loving the texture Charles! and what gorgeous colors. seems a fun project to me. very interesting and beautiful! thanks for sharing!

RSS

What's new?

Need some extra help?

The Personal Tutor

Yes, you CAN help!

Be my INSPIRATION!!!

Become a Patron of the Arts!

Join me on my Patreon page. Pledge a small monthly donation and get rewards!

• Discounts on Classes in my Online School
  • Discounts in my Etsy Shop
  • Free Personal Tutor Sessions
  • Patron Only video chat/demos
  • and more!

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO

------------------------------------------------------------------

Or you can use the button below for a one time contribution in any amount - Thank you!

Latest Activity

© 2017   Created by Karen Ilari.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service